- 2 lbs organic vegetables diced and sliced (I like using carrots and radishes for their beauty and flavour. But you can use daikon, cucumbers, beets, cauliflower, kale, celery etc.)
- Flavour enhancers like garlic, pickling spice, or spicy peppers to your taste.
- A 2% brine (roughly 1 heaping Tbsp of non-iodized unrefined salt for every 1L of water)
- fill a clean jar with diced veggies and flavour additions, leaving an inch or two at the top of the container.
- cover the veggies with 2% salt brine. ensure that all of the veggies are submerged.
- use a weight (like another jar) to hold the veggies under the brine. any floaters could attract mould or unwanted bacteria. pickles will take 3 days to 2 weeks to ferment and sour, with smaller sized chunks taking less time than larger chunks.
Post inspired by the recipes and work of Rooted Nutrition and Andrea Potter